Thursday 15 April 2010

I am officially worth 0.057 of a human being. Sort of.

After discovering that I should probably vote Green (see last post...), any political engagement I had developed as a result now teeters on the edge of the abyss of indifference - as it turns out my vote counts for pretty much sod all.

I don't claim to explain the maths behind its figures but the Voter Power website takes into account the probability of the seat changing hands and the size of the electorate, to calculate how much each person's vote is 'worth'.

I live in Chingford and Woodford Green - one of the Tory's top seats and one of the safest in the country overall. If my knowledge of politics, such as it is, tells us nothing else then at least it shows that the higher profile the MP, the safer the seat (by and large).

Former Tory leader, 'Mr Broken Britain' and probable future cabinet minister Iain Duncan Smith currently holds my constituency and has done since 1992 and most people around here don't have a bad word to say about him.

As such, my vote in the election is equivalent to 0.057 of a vote. That's perhaps not as bad as it sounds, given that the average UK voter has 0.0253 of a vote. Or perhaps it's all just terrible. I'm confused.

Knackers to it, I'm still not going to vote Tory.

No comments: